Approved Housing Bodies

Approved housing bodies are independent non-profit making organisations that provide:

  • Rented housing for people who cannot afford to buy their own homes, and
  • Specialist housing, such as housing for older people or homeless people.

They are also known as voluntary housing associations or housing co-operatives. An approved housing body may provide housing by:

  • Building new houses
  • Buying existing homes
  • Leasing private houses

They use private finance to pay for housing development or to buy property. They also get state funding through local authorities to help provide housing.

To become a tenant of an approved housing body, you must apply through your local authority using the same application form you use for local authority housing. for more information on social housing support.